Will Oxetel have any impact on fetus or pregnant woman?

Hi Doctor,

My 31 year wife is on oxetol 450mg twice a day since the past 10 months and has now conceived and is 9 weeks pregnant now. does the intake of this drug has any impact on her and/or the foetus.
your kind av\dvise will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 4 hours later

Oxetol contains carbazepine which is category D drug to be avoided in pregnancy. Effects on baby in the form of neural tube defects occur when multiple anticonvulsants are taken together.In fact, a large majority of women who use carbamazepine during pregnancy have normal, healthy babies.

Certain types of defects are increased when carbamazepine is taken (especially during the first three months of pregnancy), but they are still relatively uncommon. The risk of defects is higher for women who take more than one seizure medicine. Women with a family history of birth defects also have a higher risk.

You should ask your wife to take folic acid tablet daily which helps in the prevention of neural tube defects. Have a liasion with nearby Obstetrician for anomaly ultrasound scan and further antenatal care.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further

Best wishes