Ask a Urologist   »  

Why is the tip of my penis cold and purple and why do I have trouble urinating?

im 19, about 5'8, 158 pounds. i had kidney stones about a year ago..basicly i started feeling a irritation in my penis today. my tip is very cold for some reason and its sorta purple, i am having trouble peeing as well
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query. It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     Was there any recent trauma to injury to the penis?
2)     Did you indulge in intercourse the night before these symptoms appeared?
3)     Are you able to have normal erections?

Cold and purple penis head which appear all of a sudden is due to compromising blood flow to the tip of the penis. This blood flow obstruction can occur due to any clot, thrombosis, phimosis, obstruction like prostatitis or Mondor’s disease. In Mondor’s disease, there is swelling of a veins under the skin of penis which is caused by a blood clot and is due to superficial thrombophlebitis. It can happen due to circulatory system conditions as well.

It could also be an allergic reaction ,a drug eruption or an infection.

You should get a Urine routine and microscopic examination done. A Doppler ultrasound and a physician examination done from a Urologist would be helpful. You may also need to get a prostatic examination

You can apply warm compresses on the head of the penis and avoid sexual activity and masturbation till that time.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health and waiting for your follow up questions.