Why is period delayed? Can I take medicines to regularize it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I m not geeting my periods it almost 45 days gap now, need to know the reason & medicine to get same started again in regular manner
I m 29 yrs old girl.

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Have your periods been irregular or any heavy or less bleeding recently ?

Are you in a stressful atmosphere since recently ? Any change in job or tension at Work or Home ?

Have you gained weight recently, any hair growth on chin ?

Your periods have been delayed more than 45 days according to your history. There can be many causes for the same.

Commonly extreme emotional stress can delay periods even for 2 months especially when there is recent change in job, home atmosphere etc.

Other causes include hormonal disorders like Polycystic ovarian disease which is common in working women which is also aggravated by stress and lifestyle changes.

In case the period is missed for the month, it would be wise to get Urine pregnancy test if you have been having sexual intercourse. This is also a cause of absent periods.

Kindly avoid eating fatty, high carbohydrate diet. Eat diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day. Get 6-8 hours of sleep. Do Yoga for stress relief everyday.

It would be best to consult Gynecologist to get evaluated for various causes of delayed menstruation as mentioned above. If no structural changes to reproductive organs are found on clinical examination and ultrasound scan, it could be hormonal disorder. Usually Doctor would start you on hormonal medication to restart and regularize your periods.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.