Why is my hair not growing when on estrogen?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I JUST HAD MY 70TH B DAY. hAD HYSTERECTOMY AT 39. HAIR IS NOT GROWING. TAKING ESTROGEN SHOT tAKING ELMIRON 100 MG FOR BLADDER CONDITION. ESTROGEN SHOT IS DELESTROGEN. hAIR IS NOT FALLING OUT HOWEVER WILL NOT GROW ALSO HAVE EXTREMELY LOW THYROID. HAVE THALESSEMIA B. HAVE BEEN OFF ELMIRON FOR 2 MONTHS NOW HYSTERECTOMY WAS COMPLETE INCUDING REMOVAL OF OVARIES. HAVE ALWAYS HAD LONG HAIR, MOTHER IS ETHIOPIAN AND ALSO HAS THALESEMIA. HAD THREE PREGNANCIES. ALL BUT ONE WAS STILLBORN ONE WAS CRIB DEATH. MOM HAD ONE LIVE BIRTH(ME) OTHERS WERE STILLBORNwhy is my hair not growing? p.s. diet is Kosher however protein is mostly trout, salmon and chicken. additionally also take altace 10 mg to protect kidney from diabetis. I weigh 125 and am 5 feet 3 inches tall
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: SIDE EFFECT OF DRUGS BEING TAKEN BY YOU. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. I have gone through your list of medications - All of them, bar levothyroxine negatively impact the hair growth. That is the leading cause for your problem according to me. Only two medications are approved by the FDA for stimulating hair growth - Finasteride and Minoxidil. Both have distinct side effects, and you are already on an extensive list of medications, it is not advisable to add more. ALso, diminished hair growth can be age related and due to hypothyroidism also. So do not worry as long as you are not having major hair loss. Continue taking a healthy diet and a good multivitamin supplement anyway. The drugs being taken by you are essential, and stopping them is not an option. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.