Why does my back hurt when I have a bowel movement?

painwhy does my back hurt so bad when i have a bowel movemet. it hurts more on the lower right side of my back. and sometimes my upper back hurts as well like both shoulder blades and the middle.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

Normally a bowel movement has nothing to do with the back muscles and should not cause pain. The two probable explanations are –

1) Pain because of intrinsic spine problems which are aggravated by the posture adapted while passing stools.

2) Some types of arthritis of the lower back joints - spondyloarthritis are associated with inflammation of the colon and intestines.

Hence do a stool routine examination, imaging of the spine and sacroiliac joint and CRP (C- Reactive Protein) quantitative and XXXXXXX your primary care physician for further help.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.