Why do I have a murmur?

ENT Specialist
Question
Everytime I run hills and get my heart rate really high I get a pain under my scapula and get dizzy. It takes a long time for my heart rate to drop and I generally do not feel good. I've alraedy had a stress test and the cardiologist confirmed that I have a murmur but said that I sould be okay. I am a very fit 45 year old female.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 59 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

There are many possible causes of this condition. Relevant ones in your case are:

# anxiety
# emotional stress
# dehydration
# anemia, or a low blood count
# a high level of thyroid hormone in the body.
#Blockage in the coronary artery, that may lead to heart attack in future.

Your symptoms are bit concerning. The heart ailment could be the cause of your symptoms and needs to be looked after.

The precautions and treatment of your condition.------

1-Consult a cardiologist-- GET these investigations done.

#An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test used to detect and record the electrical activity of the heart.
#Certain blood test can help detect proteins that may be present when a heart vessel is ruptured during a heart attack.
#A coronary angiography is an X-ray exam that checks whether the heart and blood vessels are blocked.

These investigations can help in looking for the cause of murmur also.

In the mean time, I would like to take the opportunity to discuss about heart attacks / Myocardial infarction. You can take precaution in future with these symptoms.

People who experience heart attacks report pain in the left arm that radiates to the shoulder. Other symptoms include chest pain, discomfort, and problems breathing. Pain might begin in the scapular area behind the chest and move to the jaw. People frequently feel a crushing sensation in the chest in addition to fatigue, blue skin discoloration, sweating, nausea, an abnormally fast pulse rate.

SO KEEP AN EYE OVER THESE SYMPTOMS.

Hope, this helps you. And I am ready for future follow ups.