Why am I having pain on the top of foot after walking?

Critical Care Specialist
i have pain on the top of my foot from walking 45 minutes.
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later

Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

You report of pain on top of your foot after walking for 45 minutes; however it is not clear what you want to know from us - cause of pain foot or treatment of pain. I shall anyway address both here.

Do you walk daily or is it the first time you did this exercise? - Both conditions can have different clinical significance.

1. If you have walked for the first time and developed on top of your foot, this may be normal and you need not to worry. Rest and mild analgesic like Tylenol pain relief is all that you need.

2. But if your walk regularly and today on walking for 45 minutes you developed pain, there are possibilities that you may have strained the muscle or injured other bony / soft tissue.
While rest, foot crepe bandage and anti-inflammatory drugs like Motrin can be helpful, you also may need X-ray of the foot to rule out bony injury.

An ill fitted shoe could be a cause. Make sure you check your shoes before you go for walk the next time.

Hope I answered your question. If you have any more queries, feel free to write back.

Get well soon,