Why am I experiencing pain under rib cage before period?

Jan 2013

I have pain on the right side under my rib cage about a week before I go on my period and while I am on it. What can it be. I have had my liver checked numerous times by my doctor and they cannot find anything wrong.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 34 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated details along with mentioned.
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ gargling sound in abdomen/ abdominal bloating after taking meals/ blood in stools?
Are you suffering from spasmodic abdominal pain/ constipation/ diarrhea?
Do you have yellow colored urine and eyes/ loss of appetite?
Do you have fever/ difficulty in breathing/ cough with sputum production?
Do you have past history of any injury?

With the available described symptoms, there could be possibility of left lower chest pneumonia with pleuritis/ hepatitis/ upper gastrointestinal tract pathology/ gall bladder stones.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, ultrasound imaging, serum amylase and lipase, blood sugar, x XXXXXXX abdomen and chest, renal function and serum electrolytes.
You should also go for CT/ MRI scan abdomen and endoscopy for better clarification.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should take analgesic along with muscle relaxants, proton pump inhibitors along with antacids.
Requirement of antibiotics will be decided by your supportive symptoms and chest x XXXXXXX finding.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava