Why am I experiencing a sharp pain in anus while coughing, sneezing and laughing?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
hi, im 25, 5ft 10, and wiegh about 11 stone. For the past few days i have been experiencing a sharp pain in my anus whenever i cough, sneeze, laugh or go to the toilet. The area between my anus and the bottom of my spine seems to be a bit sensitive. I have not noticed any blood at all. For a couple of hours after having a long soak in the bath there seems to be less pain. I have no idea whats caused it and have never had any problems like this before. Can you please tell me possible causes and how to fix it?
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in

The information provided is suggestive of a fissure in ano

You probably are constipated

If yes manage your constipation and take sitz bath for fifteen minutes twice a day

If not continue with sitz bath

In either case apply local anesthetic gel after passing stool

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead