What should be done for severe vitamin D deficiency?

Hello Doctor, I just got my wife tested for Vitamin D and Vitamin B12. The results are: Vitamin D : 9.53 ng/ml Vitamin B-12 : 195 pg/ml We are worried about her very high deficiency in Vitamin D. Please suggest the remedies.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: treatment required Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Your wife seems to have severe vitamin D deficiency (less than 10 ng/ml). Her B12 levels are also low but not severely low. I would suggest the following remedies: - 50,000 IU of vitamin D orally once weekly for 2-3 months as initial treatment. Followed by maintenance/prevention daily dose of 2000 IU or more will be needed to avoid recurrent deficiency. Please discuss with her treating physician about the same. Hope this helps you. Regards,
Follow-up: What should be done for severe vitamin D deficiency? 22 hours later
Thank you Doctor. From the past 1-2 months, she is also experiencing a clicking/squeaking sound in her right knee whenever she is climbing stairs. One of the lifestyle changes made beore this knee pain came is that she had joined a gym. Is the knee pain due to onset of arthritis?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: too early for arthritis to set in Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX It is too early at 31 yrs for arthritis to set in. It may be due to stress on the knee joint and the muscles around it. It would be better for her to avoid heavy exercises for sometime. she can do light exercises and stretching. With effective treatment for Vitamin D, she must be able to get back to original normal health. Regards,