What precautions should be taken for high SGPT and SGOT levels after jaundice?

Question
Hi, I suffered from hepatatis A druing (Dec-01-2013 to Jan-16-2014). My LFT test results on 1st Feb and 15th feb are given below. I found that my SGOT and SGPT levels are increased in 2 weeks , but my bilrubin level is decreased. I attended a cocktail party yesterday and I consumed 90 ml of alcohol and bit chicken. Is this the reason for increase OF SGOT AND SGPT? I thought I am completely recovered from jaundice, but when my sgot and sgpt levels are increased I am much worried. Please go through the below results and please answer my below mentioned 4 queries. 1) Let me know what are the precautions I need to take? 2) Should I avoid alcohol completely or I can have it socially(twice in a month) 3) Is there any problem with my lever? 4) Please let me know why sgot or sgpt levels are increased? 1-feb-2013 Total Bilrubin : 1,0 mg/dl Direct bilrubin : 0.7 mg/dl Indirect bilrubin : 0.3 mg/dl SGPT: 24 U/L SGOT: 37 U/L ALKALINE PHOSPHATE : 101 U/L 15feb2013(next day of consuming alcohol-90ml) Total Bilrubin : 0.8 mg/dl Direct bilrubin : 0.3 mg/dl Indirect bilrubin : 0.5 mg/dl SGPT: 90 U/L SGOT: 98 U/L ALKALINE PHOSPHATE : 97 U/L
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Complete abstinence from alcohol is advisable Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXX As Hepatitis A is transmitted by consumption of infected water, it's advisable to drink chlorinated water that has been thoroughly boiled or alternatively water treated by ultraviolet rays is advisable. Also avoid spicy oily food and alcohol completely 2. Alcohol is to he totally avoided. As you are recovering from Hepatitis A infection the liver require time to regenerate. Adding one more insult to liver by alcohol is not advisable 3.There is no problem with the liver. Liver is trying to recover from injury caused by virus. There is no cause for concern. 4. Alcohol is hepato toxic. That is it destroys the hepatic cells by direct injury. Consumption of alcohol leads to hepatocyte injury . Destruction of liver cell releases the enzyme present inside the cell into circulation. SGOT and SGPT are intracellular liver enzyme and liver cell injury may lead to elevated level. I hope it helped . In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD

Follow-up: What precautions should be taken for high SGPT and SGOT levels after jaundice? 6 hours later
Hello doctor, Thanks for your advice, how long should I avoid alcohol and normal diet? Which foods I need to take care at this time? XXXX

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Complete abstinence from alcohol lifelong Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Alcohol avoidance should be complete and lifelong. Diet restrictions usually apply for couple of months. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak

Follow-up: What precautions should be taken for high SGPT and SGOT levels after jaundice? 49 minutes later
Hi, With the test results give above ( feb 15th). Is there a chance of jaundice relapse again? Should I go and give my blood samples now

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need of repeating investigation Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings With the above laboratory report it's unlikely to recurr. The altered reports are likely to be transient due to consumption of alcohol. There is no need for repeating any investigation if you have no symptoms. Rest be assured Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak