What is the treatment for extreme constipation ?

What can I give a 2yr female right now with extreme consipation and distended stomach since birth. On miralax for 6 months and no improvement.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 43 minutes later

Right now treatment would be Syp.Castor oil 1 teaspoon in a glass of water at night. This will ease her constipation in the morning.

As she is on Miralax for past 6 months suggests that she is having chronic constipation. So my advise would be:

1. High fiber diet like with Bananas, papaya,berries XXXXXXX leafy veg etc would be of great help.
2. Make her drink plenty of water.
3. Encourage her to pass stools daily.
4. Psyllium / Ispaghula husk one teaspoon in a glass of water, 1 hour before food.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.