What is the remedy for chronic pain caused by colonectomy?

Chronic pain, due to colonectomy (diverticukosis) 2 teaars later lots of pain due to scar tissue built-up; Result was good. But now several years later more such tissue, more pai,n and the advice nothing to do, because I am old (86) --I had looked forward to productive old years, I am otherwise healthy, My Vicadin has not be contimued and now I am miserable. I was to take ver the counter Vicadin, which I discontinued snce itwas of no help whatsoever. How can I have a few nor constructive and enjoyable years> PS Surgery in each cases was Laperoscopy.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Difficult to address such situation Detailed Answer: Hi, I am sorry for the pain that you have. This is a difficult situation for any surgeon/doctor to address in the clinic. You had colectomy and most probably piling up adhesions in the abdomen. The bowels are sticking to each other and the natural adhesionolysis is stopped at this age. The surgeon cannot re operate and remove the adhesions as it most likely lead to puncture of bowel. You can imagine boiling pasta and let it cool. It dries and sticks. When you pick it with hand and most likely break. So the bowels are in such a state. So probably the well-known surgical wisdom that "operating purely to cure pain only brings pain". For such a patients I would give them a moderate pain killer (opioid) plus Gabapentin to raise the pain tolerance. At the same time counseling and referral to psychologist how to tackle pain suggested. Modifying the choice of foods sometimes help. Hope you understand the difficulty to giving reasonable options.