What is the reason for skin around nose and hair line turning black?

Question
I have not seen my 76 year old mother in law in 3 weeks when we saw her today her face around her nose and hair line is turning black and she is Caucasian. Is this site legit or did I just get taken
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: could be Risperidone related Detailed Answer: Dear Ms XXXXX Thanks for your patience. Firstly, I would like some additional information from you. You just mentioned that face is turning black, is it the whole face or patchy areas of face, which is getting darkened? I would also like to bring to your kind notice that Risperidone is one of the drug, which causes dry skin and dermatitis, and on areas exposed to sunlight or light it may darken. It can occur even years after medication. A clinical photograph will also be helpful. You can upload a picture of the same on the right side of this query page. I hope I have answered your query Do get back to me if you have any other query Take care Regards Dr T Shobha MBBS MD

Follow-up: What is the reason for skin around nose and hair line turning black? 7 minutes later
It is sections, not patches but larger areas that are blackened. She doesnt have dry skin.

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Clinical Picture of the hyperpigmented area Detailed Answer: Dear Ms XXXXX, Thank you for the information. Could you please upload few clear clinical pictures of the hyperpigmented area? That would help us to assess the type of pigmentation, area involved and the extent of pigmentation, to arrive at a diagnosis. Best regards, Dr. T. Shobha MBBS, MD

Follow-up: What is the reason for skin around nose and hair line turning black? 6 minutes later
She is at her home and not with me for me to be able to do that now.

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: No cause of concern Detailed Answer: Greetings In the meantime be assured that there is no cause of concern in absence of any other complaints. Avoiding exposure to direct sunlight or bright light will be helpful. Also use of sunscreen cream or lotion (with good SPF number - above 26) is advisable in case exposure is inevitable. Rest be assured everything is alright Take care Regards Dr T Shobha MBBS MD