What is the reason for severe vaginal pain during intercourse?

My gynecologist does not know what is wrong with me. I have extreme pain during intercourse. There is no itching, burning, or smells, but at the time of penetration, I feel as though a knife is being stuck in me. Apparently (according to my gynecologist) I have lines that look like ligaments within my vagina. I have had a CT Scan done, but nothing was found. I'm 30, 5'4, and 200 pounds. The pain started two Septembers ago.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 34 minutes later

The symptoms what you are having is called Dyspareunia.

The diagnosis of dyspareunia is made when the patient complains of recurrent or persistent genital pain before, during, or after sexual intercourse that is not caused exclusively by lack of lubrication or by vaginismus.

There are may causes ranging from infection, dryness, endometriosis, mechanical narrowing to psychological.

In your case, there is a temporal associated with fingering and likely vaginal injury. Due to this, there is likely fibrous strands which have formed at the vaginal opening. Although they might not be apparent on CT scan , it likely that its not allowing the vaginal orifice to expand normally. This is causing this shearing pain during penetration. Your gynaecologist has noticed ligaments inside vagina. These are preventing proper expansion of the vaginal wall. And hence pain.

You will need Manual Physical Therapy which can gradually expand these fibrous ligaments and reduce your discomfort. In extreme case, a surgical excision will be necessary.

Please consult your Gynaecologist in this context.

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran