Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the reason for having a yellowish tongue? Any medication?

HI I have a yellow tongue its sort of brownish my doctor had a look at it and said it was not infected. I do drink coffee and tea and smoke.

How do i get rid of it.

Is there any pharmautical vitamins or pills i should get to get rid of it?

I'm only 22 and I'm using my mums email because i tried mine and didnt navigate round the site properly then they asked me for a pasword i didnt get to set up.

I drink some weired embarasing water at some time and something else
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 37 minutes later

Yellowish to brown tongue can be seen in some pathological conditions.I would like to have a look on it before I opine.

I would understand the problem better once I see the image and will be able to opine specifically.

Also do answer

Whether you chew on tobacco ?
Do you smoke ?
Do you have any skin related problems ?

Anticipating your response,
Follow-up: What is the reason for having a yellowish tongue? Any medication? 1 hour later
I smoke, I don't chew tobacco and have no skin related problems.

Sorry theres no attatchments to send a picture is basically just cofee coloured
I was told that theres no sort of infection on it though by a doctor. i just want to know in general what vitamins or pills i can take....

Chinese medicine
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Brown tongue most commonly occurs due to smoking and rarely in infections.It is not a serious condition and can be treated with simple rubbing the tongue with tongue scrape.

There are good and reliable simple home remedies which help here

1)Eating sour food, which stimulate the production of saliva. Oranges, unripe mangoes, or citrus fruits are some examples of sour foods. The acidity in these foods aid in the stimulation of the salivary glands which can wash out the bad bacteria in the mouth.

2)Yogurt is one of the well known home remedies for a brown tongue. The probiotics "friendly bacteria" found in yogurt help get rid of the bad bacteria which causes the brown tongue.

3)Use antiseptic solutions like CHLORHEXIDINE mouth wash twice daily after food.This will kill the offending bacteria and help you get rid of the problem.

4)Do take Multivitamins specially B complex .

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.