What is the reason for an adult wetting the bed?

Hi, I am a 25year old woman and have been married for three years now and we have a 2 year old son. From past a year i have a unique problem of wetting the bed frequently (two out of three nights), and ive been hiding it from my husband. What may be the cause for this? and what is the remedy to stop this? Please let me know. Because of this i am not in proper mood and feel dejected all the time.Please advice. ASAP.
Thank You,
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 38 minutes later
Hello Mrs Hameed,

Thanks for the query,

It seems that you may be having Adult onset nocturnal enuresis. This is a condition occurring in normal adults and is associated with the involuntary voiding of urine during sleep. This is due to lack of control of urination during the night.

The causes include problems with the urethra, such as bladder neck obstruction associated with pelvic organ prolapse (in females). Other causes include detrusor overactivity, involuntary relaxation of the bladder muscles at night, acute anxiety or emotional disorders , urinary infection, neurological disorders, and sleep issues.

You might consult a urologist for a physical examination and get evaluated with the following tests
1. Urinalysis and urine culture
2. Uroflowometry
3. Ultrasound of the bladder - to check the Post-void residual urine measurements and bladder dysfunction.
4. Urine outflow studies
5. a sleep study

Definitive Treatment will depend on the underlying cause of the bedwetting. In some cases, anticholinergic medications (Oxybutinin, Tolterodine, etc) can be prescribed to prevent bladder overactivity issues. In cases of urinary infections treatment with antibiotics may be helpful.

But some measures that will help include -

1. Reducing fluid intake in the evening and before bed time,
2. Setting up alarms - at regular intervals, so that you can get up and viod the urine.
3. Wearing absorbant briefs - like adult nappy pads can help prevent embarassment due to the episodes.

Once treatment of the underlying condition is sucessful, your symptoms will subside and you will be symptom free.

I hope this helps.

Dr Anvekar.