What is the reason for a dull ache in my right leg?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I've been having this dull ache on my right leg. Sometimes the aches will start from my hip to the thighs and to my calves. This tend to occurs when I'm sitting. The ache is not to painful however it can be discomfort at times. I don't know what could be causing this. Please advised. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 4 hours later

Aches starting from the hip and radiating down the leg is due to a problem with the back (spine).

The most common cause is a disc prolapse. The ache radiates down to your calf if the protruding disc is compressing the nerves supplying your leg.
A disc prolapse can be caused following trauma to your back or, most of the times, without any reason.

The treatment:
No need to rush in for an MRI, as would be suggested by people who have experienced such symptoms before.

In my opinion, you can wait for a while if the symptoms aren't getting worse.
Signs of worsening of symptoms are- pain causing disability, numbness, weakness, loss of urinary or bowel control.

When the symptoms get worse, kindly visit an Orthopedician or a Spine surgeon.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.

Hope I have solved your query. If not, I will be available for further follow up.

Wish you good health. Advocate to daily exercises for a healthy spine.

Thank you.
Follow-up: What is the reason for a dull ache in my right leg? 3 hours later
I don't recall any trauma to my right leg. Will these symptoms go away on it's own? Can this be serious if it continues but doesn't get worse? Please advised. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 9 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

These symptoms might disappear if you continue back strengthening exercises. It will only get better if you keep your spine flexible. Its not serious unless you get those symptoms I stated earlier.

You can get Vitamin B complex prescribed for at least a month. It will improve your leg pain in over a couple of weeks. It works good on nerves.

If your symptoms continue for more than a month inspite of what I have asked you to follow, you'll need a clinical examination by an Orthopaedician/ Spine surgeon.

Kindly follow my trial for a month and write back. I willl be available for your follow up.

Take care and don't worry about your leg.

Wish you good health.

Thank you.
Follow-up: What is the reason for a dull ache in my right leg? 9 hours later
Can I purchase the vitamin b complex over the counter?
Follow-up: What is the reason for a dull ache in my right leg? 1 hour later
Can this also be symptoms of a blood clot in leg? I just came back from a 17 hours long flight 2 weeks ago. I don't know if these symptoms are occurring to do the long sitting in the plane. Please advised. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 8 hours later

Yes, you can get those Vitamin tabs over the counter. However, if you have any ill-effects with it, please visit a Doctor.

Blood clots in the leg is not so common for such a young age lest you are carrying or you have any other blood disorders. And leg pain due to blood clots doesn't radiate from your hips down the legs. Its usually static and dull aching type of pain, confined to your legs.

However, I would advise you to keep moving your feet up and down, once every few minutes whenever you are on a long duration flight. This will prevent DVT over the long run.

Hope I have solved your queries.

Wish you good health.

Thank you.