What is the proper treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi, my sister is having an obsessive nature, looks like it is a form of take care of household stuff. Her personal comfort for herself is most important to her. Doesn't jell with husband's family and instantiates quarrel out of no reasons. Has stolen valuables from her mother-in-laws as well. Her home is on verge of break, her husband is asking for divorce.
Please advice what should I do and whom should I consult for this matter for her.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Mania

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 34 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     32 year old female
•     Complaints of: Habit of stealing, poor care of child/house, lack of insight and think that everybody is her enemy.

She is very unlikely to have OCD) as OCD person used to have insight of problem, take care of others and do not consider other as enemy.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:
•     Personality problem
•     Psychosis: It may lead to poor care of child/house, lack of insight and thinking that everybody is her enemy.
•     Kleptomania: It is the inability to refrain from the urge to steal items for reasons other than personal use or financial gain.
•     Neurological problem leading to personality issues: May require MRI brain
•     Combination of above problems

She need detail evaluation by history taking, mental status examination and personality evaluation to reach diagnosis. Treatment will depend on the diagnosis.

For treatment, you can visit nearby psychiatrist.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: What is the proper treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder? 30 minutes later
Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

Can you please refer a good doctor in/near Kanpur, XXXXXXX Pradesh.

Best Regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 25 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

You can visit:
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX MD Psychiatry

Clinic Address: 111-A /45 (Opp. XXXXXXX Convent School), XXXXXXX Nagar, Kanpur
Days Available: WEEKDAYS ONLY
Timings: 12 NOON TO 2 PM
Contact Number(s):0000

RESIDENCE & CLINIC:E-175,Defence Colony, Jajmau, Kanpur (INDIA)
Days Available: WEEKDAYS ONLY
Timings: 4 PM TO 7 PM

Follow-up: What is the proper treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder? 27 hours later
Thanks for providing a doctor's reference. One last question, usually what could be the length of treatment for such problems and what is the likeliness of patients get well and back to normal life.

Best Regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Treatment of problem, treat-ability and prognosis are depend on nature of problem.