What is the pea size lump in my lower abdomen?

Question
I am a 36 year old woman who has a small pea size lump in my lower abdomen that can be very prominent at times and appears to be right under my skin and then will hide and come back a few days later. My dermatologist attempted to biopsy it yesterday but was unable to keep it mobile as it moves around a lot. It can be painful and move from my lower abdomen to the side of my groin. I have a smaller one on one side and a slightly bigger one on the other. Both are about the size of a pea. I am thin and have lost some weight within the past year and they are more prominent since the weight loss. My abdomen can get swollen and irritated at times. Originally my PCP thought it may be a sebaceous cyst, but not sure if one can be so mobile and come and go. I am at a loss as no one can seem to find the right answer and when I do go in to get a biopsy it doesn't remain in place to get it. One of them have caused significant pain and discomfort and back and leg pain. I do have quite a few uterine fibroids but don't think it is related. I also don't think it is a lymph node as it moves around so much. Any thoughts?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us and also for sending the reports. I have gone through them.

Your reports are normal except for total WBC count which is slightly on the lower side. It should not bother you much as it will become normal in due time. Do not worry. Rest all reports are fine.

A mobile pea sized swelling on the abdominal wall if it is not a Sebaceous cyst is most likely to be a Lipoma which is a benign swelling due to a localized accumulation of the fat cells. A freely mobile swelling indicates its benign nature and it is not likely to be related to the back pain or the uterine fibroids that you are having.

The only way to know the exact nature of this swelling is to undergo an FNAC.

You can also self monitor the swelling for any change in size, shape, its fixation to skin or the deeper tissues, redness, pain, etc in which case immediate medical attention is needed and might need to be surgically excised. In the absence of any such detrimental change, you need not worry much as it seems to be a benign and harmless swelling.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: What is the pea size lump in my lower abdomen? 12 hours later
The swelling is not the pea size mass as the mass has moved around and I can not locate the mass right now. The swelling may be due to trying to find the mass and manipulating the area. My concern is the tenderness in the overall area and smaller little nodules near my groin/leg. Today I have developed an overall body ache which includes my chest, rib cage and shoulders. No fever. I attempted to get in to urgent care to get an ultrasound but they are not available. I have an ultrasound scheduled for monday. I do not want to go to the ER is possible and feel like it is not an emergency, just a very frustrating and worrisome feeling. Could the mass be a benign cyst or lymph node and I may have developed some type of flu? However, I have no fever. I know it is hard to discuss a variety of issues through the internet, yet keep trying to find if this is a worrisome event or one that can wait to be followed next week. I just get concerned about the abdomen pain (which is not a typical pain, but more of a weird pain/sensation. Also worried that if it was a cyst and trying to manipulate the area for a while with the dermatologist could have ruptured it? If so, is that a XXXXXXX situation?
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Your symptoms seem to me like a viral syndrome. These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.
Wishing you an early recovery.
Regards.