What is the numbness and pain in my right leg?

need ur expert opinion wil.b highly appreciated to cut it short my MRI shows mild annular bulge at l4-l5 causing mild anterior indentation ovr d adjacnt thecal sec n no othr anomalities.However, for d past two weeks I hv been experiencng numbness n pain in my right leg aftr I run abt a km or so. My doc has advised multivitamin n protein supplemnts. Do u thnk d problm in my leg is due to d bulge or wil it subside wit time. M tensed as m undergoin military training in a coupl of.mnths n wuld like to b prfctly fit. Pls reply n thnk u.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: 1 km run has apparently caused nerves-compression Detailed Answer: Hi young man, Thanks for your query. Numbness and pain in the right leg is apparently due to compression over the nerves supplying it. MRI findings suggest that the bulging disc is ALMOST touching the nerves. Your lower spine is- as such- unstable. A strenuous physical activity - such as a km's run- has most likely increased the bulge of the disc further, which is now compressing over the nerves of your right lower limb. Just a cautionary advice : Do NOT take the symptoms lightly. Avoid lifting of heavy weights, stooping and bending. Perhaps, wearing an orthopedic waist-belt will help stabilizing the lower spine. Consult your doctor/orthopedist and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me, carry out a clinical examination and may, even order a fresh MRI to assess the exact position.Based on the reports, he will advise you of the best course of action. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care and God Bless You Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What is the numbness and pain in my right leg? 5 minutes later
thnks for d reply doc. as u feel dis is a problm with d spine n nerves do u suggest I do not go ahead wit d military training of one year. or is der any othr couse of action dat wil help me continue running longer?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fresh MRI will decide future course of action Detailed Answer: I have not seen your MRI films. Neither would they be clear enough, even if scanned and uploaded. Your treating doctor, who knows your case and has seen the MRIs, is the BEST JUDGE. He will guide you in a truly professional manner. However, logic demands that you defer your military training if the fresh MRI shows compression of nerves. Hence, consult your treating doctor and discuss the beneficial effect of orthopedic waist belt and feasibility of surgical correction.