What is the difference between a withdrawal bleed and a period?

Question
What is the difference between a withdrawal bleed and a period%3F
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The withdrawal bleed is usually seen 48-72 hours after stopping the hormonal tablets and the amount of bleeding can vary from a mild spotting to a full bleeding depending on the dose and duration of the hormonal pills that you took. It is mostly a painless bleeding and is not associated with other symptoms of menstruation.
The period bleeding is heavier, regular, lasts for 3-5 days, associated with water retention and weight gain and mild lower abdominal cramps. This happens on the usual time of the cycle and is predictable. May be delayed in case of menstrual irregularities.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: What is the difference between a withdrawal bleed and a period? 4 minutes later
So if I had bleeding after hormonal pills %28plan b%29 that lasted for 5 days and was associated with cramps and came around the time my period wa expected would that be considered my period%3Fs

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the bleeding was around the time of your regular period then it is likely to be your period. But high dose hormonal pills like Plan B are often associated with menstrual irregularities. Do not panic if you have a mild pinkish discharge after a few days of finishing the period.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: What is the difference between a withdrawal bleed and a period? 2 minutes later
Thank you so much%21 So my chances of pregnancy are low%3F

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later
Yes. After the periods, the chances are almost nil.
Regards.