What is the cure for tiny bald spot in front of hairline?

Ayurveda Specialist
Hi. I have a question. Since I was around 20 I noticed a tiny bald spot in front of my hairline about the size of an eraser. I tried to go to a trichologist who basically just told me to eat healthy and take vitamins. I also tried to go to a dermatologist who told me my hairline was just changing. I don't know what else to do. Its obvious I have hairloss issues. The bald spot has grown to a size of a quarter since then, seven years later. It could be alopecia areata but my temples also look thinning. It makes me think its bad genes. But at the same I'm so young to be dealing with this:( The only person in my family with hair loss issues is my dad. Everyone else has a full head of hair. If its genetics the pattern is also not the usual thinning all over with wide part tact hairline as seen on most women and. My hairline is mostly affected by the hair loss issues. Its just rare for someone my age. What do you recommend as I do to figure out what's going on with me and find an answer? Ive had blood & thyroid test done for some unrelated issue and it came back normal. Thank you so much!
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pattern baldness and Preventive Aspect Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and before opting for Ayurveda Dietary regime, Lifestyle Management & Medicines kindly let me know the following aspects for further observation and conclusions. 1. Were/are you taking any Vitamin A supplements/Diet alongwith current medication [if any], because overdosage of Vitamin A is one of the cause of hair fall-loss. 2.Please mention about your food habits alongwith appetite for consideration of “Digestion” on which Ayurveda medicine usually depends. 3. since Trichologist hasn't confirmed alopecia aerata [consider second opinion regarding the same and also for telogen effluvium], you can ask for scalp biopsy and related blood tests to find out any other autoimmune disease, also for 3.preventive aspect is given below: . avoid oily,spicy,fried, and left over food. . avoid too much exposure to heat,dry and windy climate. . avoid combing wet hair,cover your hair while driving bike or travelling to prevent undue exposure to pollutants. . Avoid Stress and have a good sleep, alongwith regular morning walk of 45 minutes. . massage lightly with Mahabhringraj oil at night (before retiring to bed) . After bath make sure you avoid vigorous toweling of hair, let them dry naturally. . Make less choice for synthetic hair oils, hair coloring, bleaching, styling and use of dry blowers. . Avoid excessive exposure to sun, heat, wind, dust, anger, stress, anxiety, . Avoid oily, fried, spicy, hot, fermented and stale food. . Proteins are essential for antibodies production so milk, egg (white), beans, yogurt, soymilk, pumpkin, squash,watermelon,peanuts,almonds, if non-vegetarian (meat) are choices . mango, carrots, cantaloupe, egg yolk,apricots,pumpkin,papaya, are ideal . Vitamin C: is needed for proper functioning of immune system: amla is good option. . Vitamin E: is a powerful anti oxidant thus peanuts, dried apricots, cooked spinach, taro root can be taken. . Soap nut(रीठा),alongwith shikakai+bhringraj and XXXXXXX acts as natural conditioner. PS. 1. Falling of hair could also be due to under active thyroid, and low hemoglobin, but since values came normal can be excluded as likely cause(s). 2. If a close family member [your father] has the disease, the risk of developing it is slightly increased [genetic predisposition]. 3. If your father lost his first patch of hair before age 30, the risk is greater [enquire about this]. 4. since Alopecia Areata is an autoimmune disease, thus initially we have to start with Immunomodulation [Rasayan Chikitsa] Treatment and later restore to non- surgical hair replacement [if you believe hair loss is psychologically traumatic and some people may have a poorer outcome, including those with Alopecia areata at a young age] Please revert back with your clarifications/concerns for further line of Management. Dr. Munish Sood Consultant & Physician Naimittika Clinic.