Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the cure for sore neck, ear and fluid in ear?

Question
I am very worried about what looks like a tiny mouth ulcer on the top of my gum, back left wisdom tooth. Back in January i woke with intense pain and i thought it was tooth ache. I made an emergency app at dentist and he said it looked like i had scratched my gum. Prescribed antibiotic. Anyway i noticed last week when i felt the same area that it felt like a tiny hole and was very sore to touch the gum area. I went to the dentist and he said he couldnt see anything on the gum. Did an xray and said its a chronic abscess. Gave me an antibiotic and ordered a better xray to see exactly what tooth is the problem as two side by side look problematic. When i look in the mirror it looks to me like a tiny ulcer. Im worried the dentist missed it as its rigjt between gum and top of cheek? Nothing has changed or grow etc. I am terrified it is cancer. I also have a sore neck and ear. Ive been to an ENT who said no nodes are swollen and i have fluid in ear.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: it is not cancer. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing us. Carberrylisa in your query you did not provide complete detail like- 1.Do you have any pain in the same area? 2. Fever and other symptoms? 3.Duration of the same problem? 4.Any medication for the same problem? 5.Any medical treatment? etc........ If you will provide me complete relevant detail,i will be in a better position to help you. Waiting for your response. Take care. Dr.Gunjan Gupta

Follow-up: What is the cure for sore neck, ear and fluid in ear? 9 minutes later
The gum is sore to touch. Well i went 11 months ago with excruciating pain and dentist said i had scratched my gum. The pain then went away and i forgot all about it. Its in an awkward place to see so i didnt look for it. I just happened to put my tip pf my tongue to the gum earlier in the week and noticed it felt like a little cut on gum. The area was tender to touch. Thats when i went to the dentist who said it is a chronic mouth abscess. He said he could not see anything on the gum. Now when i put flashlight in i can see a tiny white ulcer looking thing? I dont know if i have caused this by constantly poking the gum area or if its been there all along and the dentist missed it?

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: detailed below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your reply. According to the details provided, it seems that there is infection in your left wisdom tooth. I would like to tell you that wisdom teeth are vestigial organs in our mouth, as they play little role in mastication/food chewing. If they do not have proper space to come out/erupt in your oral cavity,there will be recurrent infection in the same tooth area,which will later results in underlying bone infection . So i would like you to visit back to your dentist and after medication and correct x-ray, go for the same tooth removal. Meanwhile you can perform warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. Nothing to get worried. Hope this will be helpful. If you have further any query,i will be happy to help you. Take care. Dr. Gunjan Gupta.

Follow-up: What is the cure for sore neck, ear and fluid in ear? 26 minutes later
Thank you. Can i ask why it feels like a persistent sore on the gum then? I am terrified its oral cancer.

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is not oral cancer. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing again. As i said it is not oral cancer,it is a recurrent infection may be because of retained food particles in the same area,as it is difficult to clean that area. Persistent sore on the gum area is because of pressure developed by the pus in that area. So i would again like to suggest you please do not get worried and visit back to your dentist as soon as possible,to get your wisdom tooth removed. Hope this will be helpful. Take care. Dr. Gunjan Gupta.

Follow-up: What is the cure for sore neck, ear and fluid in ear? 21 minutes later
Ok thank you. I am 33 and never smoked in my life. alcohol wise maybe a couple of glasses of wine per month, other times none at all. I am waiting on dentist calling me now for appointment.

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: All the very best. Detailed Answer: That is good. Take care. Dr. Gunjan Gupta