What is the cause of heaviness in left side of neck, eye and head?

May 2014

i feel heavy XXXXXXX in left side of my neck, left ear and left eye with slight pain in lower back side of head (Left).
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please provide additional information Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Heaviness in the regions of eye, ear and neck can be due to many reasons. Commonest could be due to sinusitis which is an infection of the sinuses. Neck muscle spasm can also lead to your symptoms. If there is intense pain in for few minutes then the cause could be trigeminal neuralgia. It is important to know a few things about your symptoms: 1. Since when are you experiencing the heaviness and pain? 2. Do you have any associated headaches? 3. Do these symptoms come as attacks or are the present all the time? 4. What time of the day do you have maximum problems? 5. Do you get relief by taking any medications? 6. Do you have any visual problems? 7. Do you involve yourself in heavy physical exercise? 8. Do you have lot of stress at work? Please do write back with updates. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow-up: What is the cause of heaviness in left side of neck, eye and head? 2 hours later
I am facing this problem since 2011.I feel slight pain all the time but feel very badly after continuous sitting or in winters, specially pain in my left shoulder and left ear, left eye and left. lower back side of my head which is just above te neck. sometimes I feel severe headache which is also starts from lower left back part of my head.I feel slight hazyness in viewing with left eye also sometimes.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Please consult a neurologist Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for writing in with an update. Your symptoms could relate more to the nerve supply of the head and neck region. It would be important to do a complete neurological examination to know if there is any pinching of nerves which originate in the neck region. The nerves supplying the muscles at the back of the head and shoulder originate in the neck region and might get compressed at the nerve root level which may cause the slight pains described by you. The visual haziness needs to be evaluated by examining the cranial nerves involving the eye vision and the nerves supplying extraoccular muscles in the eye which help in eye movements. When accompanied with a severe headache, this can be a migraine attack. Please consult a neurologist for clinical evaluation. Avoid exposing to cold weather during the winter. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek