What is the best way to get off Norco?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
What is the best way to come off of Norco? Have been on it for 6 month's and dose has been upped twice due to tolerance. No longer helps with the pain and due to side effects would prefer not to be upped again.
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Taper it off gradually. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Norco contains two analgesics, hydrocodone and acetaminophen (paracetamol). Of these, only hydrocodone is associated with the problems of tolerance, withdrawal and dependence, as it is an opioid. Since you have been on Norco for only 6 months and have been taking it as prescribed, I guess you are not on too high a dose. In my opinion, you shall be able to come off Norco without the need for detoxification under medical supervision. Just start tapering off the number of tablets you use per day. For example, if you were taking the 10mg/325mg tablet 6 times a day, then take the same 5 times a day and for the sixth time, take one lower strength tablet (7.5/325). If there is pain, take plain paracetamol tablet if required. After you are comfortable with this lowering in dosage, try shifting one more tablet to that of lower strength. Again wait for a few days till you are comfortable and notice no withdrawal symptoms like yawning, sneezing, goose flesh, sleep difficulty, restlessness, dilated pupils, muscle spasms and aches, running nose etc. Keep on reducing the dose gradually. Once all the tablets are of the lowest possible strength, start reducing the number of tablets per day. Go slow and give your body ample time to adjust to the new dose, to prevent any major withdrawal symptoms. Discuss alternate methods of pain relief with your doctor. Local application of analgesic ointments, hot fomentation, wax bath, ultrasonic therapy, acupuncture, acupressure etc are some options. Non-opioid analgesics like ibuprofen, naproxen etc can be taken though you must discuss with your doctor what your maximum dose should be. I hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask in case you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
Follow-up: What is the best way to get off Norco? 6 hours later
Thank you, I will try that.
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: All the best. Detailed Answer: Hi, All the best. Just remember not to overtax your body. Go slow. Drink lots of water. I am sure things will turn out well. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry