What is the best way to consume protein in diet for wound healing?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi And you possibly advise me on wound healing I recently had surgery and have developed a small leg ulcer just over the site of the fracture (distal tibia) I have the dressings changed a few times a week and the healing while slow is progressing My question is relating to wound healing and increased protein intake I have been advised to increase my protein intake to help with the healing however I need some advice on how much protein I should consume and what is the best way to get it I have looked at some pre made shakes but they have 400 Kcals and 20g protein I am already very overweight about 5 ft 10 and 250lbs I'm pretty immobile and watching my diet closely I'd appreciate and advice you can give me
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: 0.55 to 0.84 grams per lbs of body weight per day Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. For good healing of wound medical recommendations range from 0.55 to 0.84 grams per pound of body weight per day. You can use a protein powder, that is made from 100% whey protein, has no added supplements . I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care