What is the best method to avoid pregnancy and what are the side effects of condom in males?

Mar 2016

My query is regarding the usage and effects of different type of contraceptive Methods. 1. Is there any side effect if one uses condom to avoid unwanted birth? 2. Does this affects (use of condom) the health of the Male partner in any condition ? 3. Is it ok for female partner to use contraceptive Pills (ipill, unwanted -72) ? 4. is there any side effects of these pills? 5. What's the best method to avoice unwanted pregnancy?
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments: 1) There is NO side effects of using condom. LATEX condom is mostly preferred. 2) Condom is SAFE for both male and female partner. There is NO adverse health effect on using condom. 3) Yes, female partner can take Emergency Pill like I-pill or Unwanted 72. It should be taken within 72 hrs of unprotected sex. However, best protection is achieved when the pill is taken within first 24 hrs of sex (more than 95%). 4) Yes, emergency pill has some tolerable side effect. Most common side effect is irregular or late period. Others are nausea, vomiting, headache, breast tenderness, abdominal cramp, spotting, fatigue etc. 5) Best contraceptive method is Combined OCP (like FEMILON or NOVELON) for regular sex. It should be taken from D1 of cycle for 21 days with 7 days gap to get period regularly. It gives protection more than 99.9% against unwanted pregnancy after 1-month regular use. In the first month of using these pills, condom should be used as back-up method for extra protection. Hope, I have answered your all queries. Let me know, if you need further clarification. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen