What is causing my headache and dry nose?

Hello, Starting on Thursday Evening, I started getting a very mild headache. Didnt think much of it. But for the past 3 days my head has hurt on and off. Its not terrible pain, but its enough pain to be annoying. I wake up feeling fine with no pain, but it seems that the later in the evening it gets is when the pain starts. The pain is located across my forhead, the top of my head near my hair line, and behind my eyes and sometimes my temples. At times its even felt like my teeth were hurting.My nose has also been very dry. And at times my nose ( in between my eyes) has been hurting and burning. I have felt the post nasal drip at times but it hasnt been severe. I was thinking at first it could be allergies or sinuses but I dont have alot of stuffiness due to a lot snot. Its going on 4 days now, and me being a terrible anxiety sufferer and a full fledged hypochondriac at times, I have convinced myself of a sentinal headache, burst anuerysm, or brain tumor. I would really like to know what this could be. I am a 29 year old female. I dont smoke or drink. But I am highly addicted to Cokes:) I am 5'7 and weigh about 145 lbs. My blood pressure usually runs around 100/60 and my resting heart rate is usually around 60. I would just like to know if at all possible, maybe what the problem is so I can put my overactive mind to rest and relax some. I'm sure worrying about my headache isnt making the headache any better!!! Thank you very much!
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

First of all do not get stressed as it does not seem to be something very serious and anxiety can definitely increase the pain.

The burst aneurysms or brain tumors are not likely to be possibilities.

According to the symptoms reported by you it can be Tension headache (stressful) , sinusitis (past history of sinusitis), eye strains can be put in the first place. Later Migraine can strike as second possibility.

Have you started the birth control pills recently as they are one of the major cause of headaches.
Some suggestions for you:
1)Take steam inhalation 3 times a day.You can add few drops of Euclyaptus oil in the water.
2)Avoid Coke for sometime and either drink lots of water,hot soups,juices etc. Caffeine can cause rebound headaches.
3)Take pain killer like Advil and observe for any changes.
4)Take Benadryl syrup 2 times a day for 3 days.
5)Avoid stress and have adequate sleep for 8 hours a day.
6)Have healthy nutritious diet and avoid cold food.

If the headcahe persists even after 5 days then consider consulting your doctor for check up and investigations as Blood profile so that the exact cause can be ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up if any.
Follow-up: What is causing my headache and dry nose? 9 hours later
Thank you so much! I started my BC pills about 4 months ago. They never gave me headaches only slight nauseas at first. On the first day the headache started I was also on the 2nd day of my period. And I do normally get a headache when first starting.So at first I just chalked up my headache to that. I did notice when I laid flat down on my back last night that I had lots of pressure in my nose, cheeks and behid my eyes. And my teeth really felt like they hurt. I also had drainage when laying flat on my back. I woke up this morning with the left side of my nose completely stopped up and the other side quiet abit stopped up and my throat is sore. Ive never had sinus problems until this year. I just wonder if a sinus head/face ache can last for several days and hurt in several different places all at once.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up

Sinuses are cavities located in the eyes,nose,cheeks and when they are inflammed either by infection or allergy it causes pain and pressure around the eyes, nose and facial region.

I sincerely feel that you are suffering from sinus pain itself. If it is a viral infection it usually takes about 10 days to resolve completely.It can be due to any allergy find out any thing at home as bedsheets,fluffy pillow etc.

Some more suggestions for you:
1)Take Vitamin C tablets once daily for a month.Also include citrus fruits,lemonade,strawberries,tomato soup which are high in Vitamin C content.
2)Eat a jalapeno pepper.It will help in draining sinuses.
3)Mix cinnamon powder with water and make a pste.Apply it to forehead.It will help in easing pain.
Kindly do take steam inhalation as it is the best treatment for clogged sinuses.

Hope this helps you.

Wishing you speedy recovery!