What is CT PNS. In which body part it is done?

ENT Specialist
is throat ct scan done while ct scan pns or which body part ct scan is done when i have been prescribed ct scan pns is throat included in this
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. A CT PNS is CT Scan of the Para Nasal Sinuses and usually includes the upper part of the throat behind the nose (nasopharynx).

2. To include the entire throat, a CT Neck will have to be done.

3. A CT PNS is done when Sinusitis or a Post Nasal Drip (PND) is suspected. Post nasal discharge of mucus from the nose and sinuses may infect the throat, leading to lymphoid hypertrophy. This may cause the pin point like pain in the throat.

4. Other common causes of such pain include chronic tonsillitis, elongated styloid process, a lymph node, allergy, granular pharyngitis, neuralgias, hyoid bursitis, foreign body, acid reflux and so on.

5. Get a videolaryngoscopy done before a CT Scan. Take a trial of treatment including a mediated mouth wash for a few days before getting a CT Scan done. At your age, 99% scans are normal. Scans show anatomical form, not function. Hence if the pain is on swallowing, it may not show up unless there is a large pathology involved. In other words, if you do go in for a scan , and it is normal, then you should be convinced that there is only a minor problem involved.

6. You may share the images here for further evaluation and advice regarding treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: What is CT PNS. In which body part it is done? 11 hours later
Thank you sir
Sir i have shown my throat to three ENT specialist doctor and one MD (medicine) the first doctor told me that there is acid reflux the second one told me (gala andar se pak gaya hai ) and after that i went to third doctor who asked me for ct scan told me after seeing the ct scan that there is cough in my cheeks and when does this cough go down it cause pain in throat and after eating his medicine for nearly 15 days i have got pns x-ray done which shows the infection and cough in cheeks are over but still after that i was sometimes felling pain in throat so he reffered me to a Ent Specialist who told me that (gale me andar se XXXXXXX hai) Sir it has been nearly 1.5 months i am suffering from this . Sir please tell me what can be the cause and how much time it will take to end up and sir can there be anything serious involved in it. The pain is not always but 4-5 times in a day for nearly 1-2 minutes and sometimes pain in cheeks for 1-2 minutes but not with throat pain.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 40 minutes later

Thank you for your writing back.

1. If you can share the images of your CT Scan (not the report), X-ray PNS and videolaryngoscopy, I will be able to guide you better.

2. If your Sinusitis has cleared, it may take a few weeks for your symptoms to improve. Pain in the cheeks may be due to residual sinusitis. Acid reflux takes 6-10 weeks to settle down. I hope you are continuing with medication and steam inhalation.

3. There should not be any cause for worry. These are common problems.