What dosage of Tegretol should be taken?

Hello. I'm taking Tegretol XR dosage of 1200MG daily. What is your thought on this?
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 32 minutes later

Welcome and thank you for writing to us.

Tegretol XR 1200 mg is primarily used to treat seizures, but can also be used to treat pain in different conditions (eg. trigeminal neuralgia, multiple sclerosis, etc.).

A dosage of 1200 mg is decided by your doctor. Starting with 200 mg per day, observing response, and then escalating the dose from there on depending on the response of patient. Usually 1200 mg is the maximum adult dose for treating conditions like trigeminal neuralgia (for treating pain) and multiple sclerosis (for pain management). This dose is usually decided when there is either no response or not an adequate response to lower dosages.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.