What does mid upper zone opacification and persistence consolidation mean?

ENT Specialist
Xray showed right mid upper zone opacification. And follow up showing persistence consolidation. What does this mean please.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 40 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Lung consolidation means that the normal air containing lung tissue now contains fluid, pus, blood or tumor. Pneumonia is a common cause. Tuberculosis and other mycobacterial infections such as Nocardia must be ruled out. This area, therefore, cannot function. Sometimes there may be collection of fluid in the pleural space (lining of the lung)

2. Get a Chest Specialist's reference. Auscultation of air entry and breath sounds may help differentiate some of these causes. A trial of medication may be given If there is no improvement, an HRCT Scan of the Thorax and a Bronchoscopy may be required.

3. Does she have any symptoms? Do you have an image of the X-ray? Are the edges of this area sharp or diffuse?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.