What does " adnexa" in an ultrasound mean?

Mar 2013
I am 39yr old fe with endometriosis. Never been able to have kids sadly. Have had cone biopsy of cervix, right ovary removed for mass and have been nearly symptom free for about 4 years. Now, I have much pain and irregular bleeding. The pain keeps me up at night and lots of fatigue and irregular perspiration. I had an ultrasound last week and the technician kept outlining something called an adnexia? In all the years I've had issues, I don't ever remember seeing that word pop up on any ultrasound....or maybe I just didn't see it. Anyway, my follow up apt isn't until the 19th and I am having trouble going a out business as usual wondering if an adnexia is necessarily a bad thing or just a term I don't recognize for something completely normal? Any info you can provide would be so appreciated!
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: ADNEXA REFERS TO TUBES AND OVARIES. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. What you mean is ' adnexa '. This refers to the adnexal structures to the uterus - that is, in simple words, the tubes and ovaries. Your symptoms match those of endometriosis, going strongly with your history. On the ultrasound, the adnexa ( tubes and ovaries ) are the most likely places for having a mass or endometriotic stigmata / lesions. I can tell you what the adnexa means, and what the implications are. Adnexa by itself are normal, they refer to the tubes and ovaries, adnexal lesions or adnexal masses are not normal. I would request you to upload the scan report for me to opine further. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.