What does LFT test indicating SGOT-590, SGPT-1085 and GGT-300 mean?

Apr 2014

Hi I am XXXXX. My wife's LFT tests indicate a SGOT of 590, SGPT 1085 and GGT of 300. May I know what this means?
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: She needs further investigation. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX She has increased SGOT(Aspartate Aminotransferase),SGPT(Alanine Aminotransferase) and GGT (Gamma Glutamyl Transpeptidase).These are the enzymes. SGOT is found in tissue like liver, heart, muscle, kidney etc,so it is not specific to liver.Where as SGPT and GGT are specific to liver and it is increased in liver injury. She needs further investigations like Ultrasound of abdomen,viral markers and CT Scan of abdomen can be done if needed. She needs proper clinical examination and need gastroenterologist opinion. Cause of increased SGOT,SGPT and GGT should be investigated and treatment can be done accordingly. These are mostly associated with alcohol intake.It can be presumed that this is not the reason in her case.You also didn't mentioned anything about this in history. Viral markers is important for her and it should be done. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX