What could be the cause of prolonged bleeding for 2 weeks during menstruation?

I've been on my menstrual cycle for 2 weeks now, is something wrong with me?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 hours later

If you have had prolonged bleeding for 2 weeks then it is a concerning problem.

This is most likely due to hormonal imbalance. Birth control pills that you are taking may sometimes cause a change in the menstrual flow. You havent mentioned how long you have been taking the pills?

If you have started taking the BC pills in last 2-3 months then this could be a side effect. Wait for a few more days. I expect the bleeding to stop. If they don't then you will need evaluation.

But if its been longer, then this is probably due to some other cause. Evaluation is necessary.

Evaluation consists of a visit to a gynecologist for a pelvic examination. An ultrasound examination and blood work up is entailed. The test also may include thyroid hormone work up.

Follow-up: What could be the cause of prolonged bleeding for 2 weeks during menstruation? 2 hours later
I've been on the pills for 2 months prior with no complications, this has just happened recently (within the past 2 weeks and ongoing).
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

Thank you for the reply.

You can wait for one more week. If the bleeding does not reduce, do see your doctor about medications to stop the bleeding.

If there is no respite, then it is time to get some tests done. You should get an ultrasound also to rule out fibroid, polyp, adenomyosis etc.

So an examination is warranted after a week either to stop the bleed or to determine the possible cause of prolonged bleed.

Wish You Good Health.