What could be the cause of abdominal cramps with nausea ?

I have been getting stomach cramps immediately before excreting together with nausea, salivating and gagging. It happened once before but went away after a few days; now it's reoccurring six month later - any ideas?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 10 hours later

Abdominal cramps prior to defecation usually represent an exxagerated intestinal contraction. The pressure of contraction and the constricting effect on the nerves and vessels is felt as pain / discomfort. This usually occurs in the presence of intestinal inflammation or infection. This can olso occur if there is an increase in bulk of the intestinal contents (secondary to some undigested food components)

The associated nausea, salivation and gaging are a manifestations of vagal nerve stimulation. Vagal nerve is the primary sensory and motor nerve to the XXXXXXX organs and its stimulation at one place can produce widespread manifestations.

Some of these causes like infections and increased bulk are self limiting and may not need any treatment. However if they are persistent and associated with weight loss or constipation or GI blood loss you need to consult your gastroenterologist to rule out more serious causes.

Hope my answers are adequate and informative. If you have any more additional queries, feel free to write back. I will be available to address them.