What could be the cause for swelling under ear near salivary gland?

My gland , I guess it is a salivary gland or parotid gland swells when I chew. It did this a few years ago and then it quit. It just started do9ng it again under my left ear and after I guit eating in just a short while the swelling goes down again. What is wrong?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: likely partial blockage of the gland Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic It is possible that there is partial blockage of the salivary gland. There are different salivary glands: (1) the submandibular glands (2) the parotid glands (3) the sublingual glands The submandibular glands are under the floor of the mouth on each side, the parotid are just below and in front of the ears and the sublingual are just below the tongue. These glands are involved in making saliva, the saliva production would increase when eating because saliva helps to break down food. In most persons there is a partial and not a complete blockage of a gland. One of the most common cause of blockage is a stone in the duct (passage way). You may want to consider an ENT doctor who can assess for this. He or she may suggest imaging tests such as xray, ultrasound or ct If a stone is confirmed there are different treatment options the doctor may use.These include (1) probing the duct from inside the mouth or massaging the gland (2)there are very small scopes that can be used to look into the duct and remove the stone. This is called sialendoscopy. (3)rarely surgery I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions