Is there any modern procedure that can extract large stones from salivary glands?

In 1982 I had a large stone come out of a silva gland under my tongue while in Hospital. Since the MD nor nurse were in room it was never analyzed. Then they wanted to take out gland but with risk of losing nerve control in half my face, I decided to wait. I never smoked cigarettes or Tobacco. I have scheduled a biopsy of glands and lymph nodes at Emory University Hospital. DO they still surgically removed Silva glands or do they have a modern procedure that can extract stone rather than removal? I have had two kidney stone remove on in 1973 and one in 1984; but none since as I changed diet and drink lots of water daily.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...salivary gland stones ( large ) are now removed by a procedure called as SIALENDOSCOPY. Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. 80% of salivary gland stones are found in submandibular salivary glands and these are almost always made up of calcium only. Blood levels of calcium or any other disease of body ( like you had kidney stones ) has no connection with the formation of salivary gland stones. Although the exact cause for formation of these stones is not known but it is said that factors which favour less production of saliva or thick saliva like dehydration or use of certain medications like anti histaminics or antihypertensives can cause the formation of salivary gland stones. Modern treatment of these stones is done by doing SIALENDOSCOPY,where a small tube like probe is put in the glands opening and then entire salivary duct system is visualised and stone extracted after locating it. Surgical removal of salivary glands is rarely done and resorted only in cases of repeated stone formations or where there is extensive damage of salivary glands. I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: Is there any modern procedure that can extract large stones from salivary glands? 3 hours later
Thank You Dr. Gupta! Both My parents were heavy tobacco smokers. When I was 13, my allergist tested me and found that I was allergic to tobacco. The four of us children never became smokers due to both parents smoking. So from 18 years, I went to college and never lived with smokers. But from 13 -30 years I took drixoral and other antihistamines/ drying agents for sinusitis. Then my ear nose and throat MD convinced me to switch to Nasal saline and air filter (Hepa filter with negative ionizer) in my bedroom running 24 hrs/day and all problems went away. But, in 1982 I went into hospital; on second or third day, I felt a sharp point under my tongue, I pressed nurse call button. but before an MD or nurse could get there my pressing with tongue and maybe pressure behind it pushed it out. Since MD or nurses did not see it come out they would not analyze it. After I got out The MD pressured me for surgery to removed Sailva glands. But, I did not want to risk paralysis. I told him I would wait for it to happen again before I went there. I kept the stone and found it this morning. I sold financial and patient care software systems to hospitals then and I had much experience talking with MDs. My two kidney stone were calcium Oxalate stones; in 1984 I changed diet to avoid Oxalates. Increase water consumption and never had another kidney stone. I ate a lot less beef for last thirty years. I will take this stone with me when I see my Emory Clinic MD next week. A biopsy is scheduled for next Thursday. I have depression and I have been extra depressed. I am so relieved that Medical Surgery has advanced and there is new procedures. The swelling is behind right lower jaw and there are salivary glands there. I was with my nurse sister on Thanksgiving and she went through her databases found Salendoscopy and she helped me feel better. It has been painful for last few months. From your comment, this stone could be very old but has never bothered me til now. The chances are with Salendoscopy or some combination will work. Thank You, thank you. I will take my stone and I think it will help them focus. We have done all testing for swollen Lymph nodes in neck and I had none of those problems. Sincerely, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello, In your case,prolonged use of anti histamines might be the cause for formation of salivary gland stone. A simple X -ray can detect the presence of salivary gland stone,although in 20% cases,a simple X-ray is not able to show the stone.In such cases an ultrasound or a CT scan can detect the stone. A pair of salivary glands is  present on floor of the mouth ,on each side and is called as submandibular glands. Generally salivary gland stone formation is one -off event but some cases develop a stone later in life,as it is happening in you. Best of luck to you and in case there is any other query,you are most welcome to ask. Thanks