What could be the cause for intermittent abdominal pain?

Mar 2013
Sir,I am 22 years (female) unmarried.I have pain in the left and right side abdomen.I get pain only one side ie..,(today if i get right side the next day left side or I don't get any pain) but I don't have pain all the day it comes and lasts for some minutes goes away. I get pain in the left side upper back or lower back part and after sometime it moves to front side lower part or side part of the abdomen...pain increases if I stretch that particular part..I exercise for 1 hour and drink 3 litres of water everyday .. I have been experiencing this kind of pain from 4-5 months and my periods are regular.. I have consulted my gynec she advised me to take MAHACEF PLUS for 14 days. I am afraid to take as it is an antibiotic..I had used some antibiotic in the past and that month I did'nt get my periods..She asked me to visit her after using those tablets(15 days),still if pain persists then she will go to ultra sound scan.My family members and friends advised me not to go for ultra sound scan as it may harm my stomach and also I had undergone this ULTRA SOUND SCAN 4 TIMES IN THE PAST 5 YEARS(2008-2012.I AM AFRAID THAT HAVING ULTRA SOUND SCAN THESE MANY TIMES AND TAKING ANTIBIOTICS MAY CAUSE PROBLEMS TO BECOME PREGNANT OR EFFECT DURING PREGNANCY IN FUTURE(i am worried mainly about this)..I am confused and no way to go So, please provide a clear solution to my problem and also suggest some healthy tips and preventive measures to these kind of pains and diseases..
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: ULTRASOUND AND ANTIBIOTICS ARE SAFE. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Having ultrasound scans can in no way affect your future ability to get pregnant, as it is devoid of radiation. Also, if you have these reports, please upload them. If you do not have any reports, please get an ultrasound scan done. It is important to diagnose the condition. Do not take antibiotics without any indication. However, antibiotic use also will not cause any future pregnancy complications. You might be having mild infection in the intestines or stomach due to which you are having recurrent pain. It could also be a stone impacted in the gall bladder or kidneys. ULtrasound is imperative for diagnosis. Please get it done without hesitation. Eat mild, bland , home cooked foods, have small frequent meals instead of 2 - 3 big ones. Exercise daily and have atleast 4 litres of boiled or sterilized water. Avoid excessive sugar, salt, fried or processed foods. Do not worry much or stress out as it will impact your health negatively. All the best. PLease feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: What could be the cause for intermittent abdominal pain? 1 hour later
This is an excellent answer and I am totally satisfied with it.I have small doubts regarding it... I have belching after I drink water or milk or if I don't eat in time I feel like stomach bloating ie I think it is like some gas formation...Am I getting this pain because of this gas..? I don't have any constipation problem.Can you suggest some tips and natural ways to cure that infection without intake of medicine and please let me know what should I do to avoid the recurrent infections..
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Thank you for the appreciation. Yes, your symptoms are consistent with those of acidity or gastritis. For that, the following tips should be followed - 1. Have 5 - 6 small meals instead of 2 -3 big ones 2. Never skip breakfast. 3. After dinner, keep a gap of 2 - 3 hours before sleeping. 4. After any meal, avoid lying down for 30 minutes. 5. Do not have a bath after meals. 6. Avoid stress, erratic eating schedules and late nights. 7. Refrain from eating outside or roadside food. 8. Plain, simple , homemade food is best, which is fresh and not left over. 9. Avoid consumption of oil, sugar, salt , ghee , spices, chillies in excess. 10. Take lots of jeera pani, nimbu pani, buttermilk, curd in your diet 11. Drink lots of water, atleast 4 litres per day , more in summer. 12. Avoid standing for prolonged periods. 13. Boost your immune system by daily exercise, yoga and meditation. All the best and take care.
Follow-up: What could be the cause for intermittent abdominal pain? 21 hours later
Mam,from yesterday I feel to urinate but sometimes I get little or no urine at all and also I am having pain in the right side lower abdomen and more amounts of white discharge than normal..i want to know whether there is any test to confirm if stomach infection is present..? I forgot to say that from a month ago after urinating normally, after 2-3 secs again I get few drops of urine ..but pain ie..,(what I have written to you yesterday) is from 4-5 months..I don't know whether this pain is related to urine or with reproductive system..?? please give me a solution..
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: ULTRASOUND PLUS URINE TEST TO BE DONE. Detailed Answer: Hello AN ultrasound scan will tell you if any abdominal infection is present. The symptoms of urination point towards a urinary tract infection or a stone. Stones ( calculi ) can be diagnosed by ultrasound, and infection will show up on a urine test - urine routine + microscopy as well as a urine culture. Get both done. Take care.