What could be the cause for brown spots on inner thighs?

I am a 61 yr. old female and I take a lot of medication for several medical problems. my question to you is, I have notice in the last year I have gotten brown spots, some small, some larger on my inner thighs. I am heavy-set woman and my thighs do rub together when I walk. Sometimes it seems I get what looks as if I get a boil on my thigh but all it does is bleed when I pop it, goes away and turns into another brown spot. I am concerned what this could be. Right now I am in Okinawa, JP visiting my so for the next few months and do not have a dr. Here. I would like to take care of this on my own if it is possible. Please help me!
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: need to reduce the boil formation Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic The brown marks that occur if the boil bursts would likely be scar tissue that can form due to trauma to the skin. The main area of concern would be formation of the boils, if these can be reduced then this would result in a decrease in the eventual brown spots. Boils commonly form between the thighs especially if there are rubbing. The moisture between the thighs and the friction can cause the inflammation.In the early stages only blood would be present ,as they mature pus would form The boils form as a result of inflammation of the hair follicles between the thighs. To reduce their formation you should consider the following: keep the area as dry as possible using agents such as talc powder (2) clean with area with anti septic soap or lotions (3)keep the thighs separated as much as possible. This is more likely at home, use cotton clothes (4)avoid any occlusive clothing (5) you should consider obtaining an over the counter mild steroid cream to apply,this would reduce any inflammation I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: What could be the cause for brown spots on inner thighs? 8 days later
Thank you for the information on boils. I appreciate your advice. I will follow your advice. I have another question about the brown spots, too. I have a lot of them on my thighs close to the groin area. They are not any where else on my body. Could those be from moisture and my thighs rubbing together? They do not hurt or itch either. I have tried talc and it doesn't seem to help. I have heard that talc causes yeast infections. Is that true? It seems the brown spots keep popping up going lower on my thighs. They can't be old age spots, can they? There? Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer: the boils are related to the rubbing and moisture Detailed Answer: HI If the brown spots are like the other lesions you mentioned previously and they started as boils , then there are related to friction between the thighs and moisture. Talc powder can cause problems in some persons. If you wish to use something else, you can consider plain cornstarch. This is mainly to prevent future occurrences by keeping the area dry. For present treatment the previous advice would be helpful ( cleaning with mild antiseptic soaps, keeping the area separated and dry, topical steroid cream), you can also add a topical antibiotic cream to that, to speed up resolution. If the brown lesions appear on their own, with no other preceding rash, then it is possibly related to old age lesions (lentigo- in the case of age, usually solar lentigo). The brown spots related to solar lentigo-are related to sun exposure, they appear on the legs, face, hands. They are not cancerous. If this the case and they are bothersome then treatment is available such as freezing, oral medication, chemical peels. If the problem continues you may need to consult a dermatologist