What causes throat and jaw pain when suffering from GERD?

General Surgeon
I have had these symptoms before and seem to disappear and wondering if it is gastroesophogeal. I get this tightening in my jaw, usually on right side and then have this dull pain/discomfort slightly toward my temple, and then a slight tightness in my throat. I also experience some need to burp which relieves the chest pressure, but want to make sure nothing more serious is going on. I did take a Zantac which has calmed things down some. I have been under some stress and spending alot of time in the office, so wonder if it is stress related. I have had GERD in the past, and took occasional Zantac for it. I took my BP and it is 123/78 with a heart rate of 80. I saw our cardiologist recently and he did another carotid study which is why he is following me. He found it unchanged and said my heart sounded good. I have had Bronchitis on top of a bad cold the last week or so, but am on the back side of it now. Does the jaw thing sound like anything worrisome. I was diagnosed several years ago with a bout of vestibular neuritis ...could that be reoccuring? Thank you for your time.
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: its recurrent gerd Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. This throat pain is due to recurrernce of gerd due to your stress. Stress causes increased acid production leading to reflux in patients predisposed to it. Though i am not very sure that your jaw pain is also related to it. The temple pain is due to jaw pain. Get an xray of your jaw and show to an orthopedic to rule out any bony leasion or arthritis of TM joint. For gerd, reduce your stress level, try yoga or meditation. For my patients with gerd, i prescribe them a combination of a ppi and levosulpride. But as these are prescription drugs, you need to see your local doctor for thd same. Avoid tea, coffee, soda drinks, smoking, chocolate as they cause reflux by relaxing the lower esophageal sphincters. Hope that i have answered all your queries. If you have further queries, i will be glad to answer them. Get well soon. Dr. Ashish Verma