What causes swollen finger with snapping early in the morning?

Sep 2013

I am having problems in my hands. Ring finger is swollen and I wake up unable to make a fist. My pinky fingers began snapping in and out I the morning.
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Gouty arthritis . Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Based on the details provide, I have come up with three possibilities that explains swollen finger with snapping early in the morning. They include: 1. Gouty arthritis: This is most likely since you are recently diagnosed with gout. Diagnosis can be confirmed by blood examination for uric acid, complete blood count and ESR ( although non-specific ,but reliable also if more than 60-70 mm/hour). 2. Rheumatoid arthritis: diagnosis can be confirmed by Rheumatic factor in blood as well clinical history. 3. Osteoporosis: diagnosis can be confirmed by blood examination for calcium and bone density test. Osteoporosis is very common in female around 50 years age due to menopause . As you are already a diabetic patient so very prone to infection so gouty arthritis is most probable cause. I would order the aforementioned tests to exclude each of the above said conditions. Your orthopedician will know about the tests. Hope this information will be helpful for you. Further any question I will reply in follow up . Good luck. Dr. HET