What causes swelling and numbness of the tongue after taking Augmentin?

ENT Specialist
Two weeks ago I started with headache and an extremely painful left ear. Family dr. gave me a steroid shot and said it's allergies and to take claritan and a decongestant. She gave me a script for augmentin "in case,..." which I eventually filled. I took 2 yesterday and one today Throat and tongue swelled up and felt numb, so I went to urgent care. She said I have an ear infection, and an allergic reaction to the augmentin, said my infection is worse, so she prescribed a z pac. I'm just worried about my mouth and tongue swelling, since again it's on the left side only. It's difficult to get anything down my throat - feels too numb. Not sure if I should be taking Claritin as the first doctor suggested. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thank you so much. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: you can take claritin! Detailed Answer: hello I can understand your troubles , please dont worry! You have definitely developed an allergic reaction to augmentin and you must not take it anymore! The swelling and numbness of the tongue and throat will resolve within 24-48 hours and in case it does not, then you should visit your doctor again. Since you are having an ear infection, you definitely need to take some antibiotics , AZ pack is a good one and i suggest that you start on it today itself. Claritin is a good drug when you have allergy to amoxycillin and I suggest that you should continue the same. If you pain does not subside in 24 hours or it increases, or pus starts coming out of it , please visit your ENT doctor again. Regards