What causes severe cold and asthama?

ENT Specialist
Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from severe cold and asthama which has been genetically transfered over to me from my mother and After the age of 15, it gradually got decreased and now am free from asthama, But from my childhood COLD is playing the role of villain in my life, Due to this i used tu rub my nose and some where around 3 years back came to know, there's been a small deviation in my nose, because of this every winter whenever i inhale cold air, air passes through only one side and the other side gets dried, So from past 2 years i have been suffering from throat getting dried and i get severe throat ache and will not be able to take in food easily. So when contacted nearest ENT doctor, they suggested on going for surgery, So could you please let me know, what can be done for this ?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: ascertain the exact cause of the nose block Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for the query. Deviations in the nose are very common. Very rarely they cause nose block. Deviations of the nose cannot occur because of rubbing the nose. You have mentioned that during winter your nose is getting blocked. With this symptom i feel very strongly that it is the allergy of the nose causing the nose block and not the deviation. If deviation is indeed the cause then nose block will be there throughout the year and not only during winter. Allergies of the nose can be treated very easily and effectively with anti histamines tablets and local steroid sprays. When we advise surgery to the patient to treat nose block first we make sure that there is no other pathology in the nose causing the block like allergies of the nose. Any medically treatable conditions like allergies are treated first. I suggest you meet your doctor again to ascertain the exact cause of the nose block. If the nose block persists even after your allergy is treated completely then you can start considering surgery. Throat dryness frequently occurs because of breathing through the mouth when the nose is blocked. Once the nose opens up dryness of the throat will disappear. Feel free to follow up, Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: What causes severe cold and asthama? 17 minutes later
Hello Doctor, Thanks alot , But after several check ups , doctor has confirmed like there is a deviation because of bone moving aside, And asked me to go for test called endoscopy, so that further complications can be known. And cold i will be having only 2-3 days a week , but all the 7 days a week am having the throat getting dried problem, because of that, i feel like hell, everyday with the throat pain.If possible can come and meet you with the test results. Or if you are not in bangalore can upload all the results of test.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: sure, you can consult me Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX In fact i am in Bangalore but currently out of station. Will come back in a month's time. I can give you my opinion after examination. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: What causes severe cold and asthama? 16 minutes later
Thank you Mam, So should i go for endoscopy exam or shall i wait for ur return to bangalore, so once u examine, shall i go for the test ?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: can go for endoscopy. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Endoscopy is an OPD procedure. It will take only 5 minutes and is routinely done an all ENT OPDs. It is a simple examintaion wherein we can visualise the insides of the nose. You can go for it now, no harm. Call me after a month and we can fix an appointment. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: What causes severe cold and asthama? 18 minutes later
Thank you Mam, Will do as advised
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: good luck Detailed Answer: Hi again, Untill next time, Dr Rajkishori.