What causes pimple like bumps in children?

Jan 2014

I noticed four or five small, pimple-like bumps when I changed my daughter's (22 months) diaper. She does not show any "normal" diaper rash symptoms and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Candidiasis Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would keep a possibility of candidiasis/yeast infection. As a result of constant use of diapers the skin is exposed to prolonged wetness, increased skin pH caused by urine and feces, resulting in breakdown of the stratum corneum, or outermost layer of the skin. This presents an ideal environment for candida/yeast to proliferate which may present as redness in that area and in the folds and satellite pustules. Treatment is based on keeping the skin as dry as possible and using a mild steroid+antifungal skin cream(clobetasone + miconazole) twice daily on the irritated skin and pustules. After the lesions resolve try to keep the area air dry as much as possible. You can also use a antifungal dusting powder to keep the area dry and non-conducive to candida overgrowth. take care regards