What causes painful abrasion inside folded skin of labia?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
where do I start? the current problem is .. abrasion inside folded skin of labia. Very painful .. can hardly walk & sitting on funny angle with pads soaked in Betadine, Sudocrem & baby oil pressed against the spot, inside my briefs. I understand all the causes .. currently prolonged hours sitting at the computer then sitting again at home. Labia was stretched during natural childbirth & now, 32 years later, I can't seem to keep the muscles strong enough to hold everything inside up and where it used to be. Also ... due to spondylolisthesis I sit very straight backed so this puts all my weight on the vulva and squeezes it (I weigh only 8 stone 3 lbs) I had cancer at age 37, am now 65, chemotherapy brought on menopause at age 38 - 39. Have never had estrogen therapy because of the risk. I have no natural lubrication & haven't for 20 or more years. No sexual activity for 4 years now .. too painful due to these overstretched labia which would occasionally tear. Also living alone now and not in a relationship. I wear cotton underwear .. shower daily .. use mild body lotions. This is the second time in the past 4 years I've had it so badly. We've just had 15 days over 110 degrees. My health and fitness is extremely good. I walk a very active dog every day, sometimes twice a day. I don't smoke and drink in moderation. My diet is mainly fruit, vegetables, fish and white meat, a little dairy i.e. yogurt .. no sweets at all. Never. So, if you can suggest a topical cream, or medicated oil that I can purchase from the chemist, (in Australia) I would like you to rule out infection, sex, std's, poor hygiene etc etc For the past 3 days I've stayed home, used Bepanthen .. then Sudacrem ... now a pad soaked in Betadine. Please can you recommend a cream to heal the open sore? thank you, XXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Betadine soaked pads/ swabs Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for an elucidate history and findings you have mentioned. Hygiene must be fine. There looks to be no role of sex or STD. This is the area with a different skin and as you are 65 years with no estrogen, such a would looks to be from a stretch and due to its position gets rubbed every time you do any activity. You are already doing the best treatment : Betadine soaked pads are the best local treatments. Avoid any creams as there is a chance of superaddded infection. Change the betadine pads twice daily. Take a full rest if possible. With your past history I have a feeling that you should take anti-oxidants( mult-vitamin supplements ) to strengthen skin. You can also get get small sterile packed swabs and use instead of pads. An addition of a oral antibiotic may be needed if there is active pus formation or the area of redness, swelling goes on increasing. All the best for an early recovery.
Follow-up: What causes painful abrasion inside folded skin of labia? 38 minutes later
Dear Doctor T, thank you so much for your response. What you say will help me, I know. However, I would like to have the brand name of any 'oral antibiotic' or any 'topical' application - cream, oil, or other - that I can purchase from the local pharmacy. There is no pus, redness or swelling. This is simply an abrasion, similar to a pressure sore, or a bed sore. I hope you will be prepared to offer further information to help me find the best way of treating this .. as it appears that I will need to self-medicate unless I opt for surgery. I don't want to have surgery. It's not that complicated. Even though I'm likely to be afflicted with this for the rest of my life, I would like to go to my local pharmacy and ask for a specific product, which I am asking you to recommend. thank you so much, XXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: only local betadine and mutivitamins Detailed Answer: At the moment you do not need any antibiotic, as this is just an abrasion and there is no pus, redness or swelling as per your history. You can keep me updated and I shall suggest antibiotics if needed in the recent future. Sure, you are most welcome for any information you need for. There is no need of surgery in this case. Just go for local betadine applications. The multivitamins freely available over the counter will help you to strengthen the skin , so that you will never get this problem again. You can Take 2 caps of VIT A and 1 XXXXXXX of calcirol ( Vit D3 ) daily for 3 days in addition of multivitamins. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more information.