What causes excessive vaginal discharge in women ?

31 female, unexplained infertility and 3 years of trying to become pregnant. Mild endometriosis diagnosed after laparoscopy.

I have had the same problem for 5 years and no physician has been able to give me a diagnosis or cure. I have wet tissue like vaginal discharge except during menstruation and sometimes not during ovulation. Sometimes its just a small amount and sometimes I can literally scoop it out of me. It is sticky but not cottage cheese like. It is dry and pasty. I have no itch, no odor, and it wouldnt bother me except its KILLING my sex life with my husband. I have been told I have yeast and bacterial infections and have been treated for both so many times I cant even count. Paps come back without either yeast or bacteria. Could this be a hormonal imbalance. How do I get a dr to really take this seriously and get to the root of the problem. Its been 5 years and I am desperate!
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

I can understand how problematic it is to have excessive vaginal discharge all the time. This discharge usually depends on the estrogen levels and increases and decreases cyclically with period cycle to some extent.

The increased amount of discharge is not usually associated with a hormonal imbalance but is usually indicative of fungal or bacterial infection.

If it is not a fungal or bacterial infection, then excessive genital stimulation might be the cause.
Regarding the treatment you can do the following things-

1.Avoid irritation of the genital organs caused by various factors such as dirt, soiled under garments, intestinal worms and excessive mental stimulation of sex or masturbation.
2. One of the things you can add to your daily diet to treat leucorrhoea is a banana that is dipped in clarified butter or ghee. This should be eaten with breakfast and lunch.
3. Increase your intake of cranberry juice. This juice has quite a number of properties that are good for women and drinking this juice helps with the treatment of leucorrhoea.
4.You might have to take antifungal drugs orally along with these remedies to get relief.Yeast infections in female genital tract are notorious for recurrence. Once you contact this infection, it should be treated vigorously with oral antifungal agents.You need to take antifungal drugs orally along with antibacterial agent in order to treat any super added infection that might have been present.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.