What causes early morning diarrhoea when on asthma,Gerd and arthritis medication?

I am a female 65 yrs old. Take medications for asthma, Gerd and arthritis. I have been having diarrhea within .5 to 1.5 hrs after waking up each day, for the past 3 months. After 2 or 3 times, then I am good for the rest of the day. Have tried holding off meds. and eating, but neither seem to help/hinder. Any thoughts? I do drink a cup or 2 of coffee in the mornings and a couple glasses of wine after dinner.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thorough evaluation by Surgeon Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Any recent alteration in bowel habits, especially early morning diarrhoea , recent onset of constipation require thorough reassesment by a Surgeon to rule out rectal or colonic cause. It requires thorough evaluation by 1. Digital rectal examination: to look for any mass or impacted stools 2. Stool for microscopic examination 3. Sigmoidoscopy/Colonoscopy Exact plan will depend on the clinical findings. There is no reason for worry, take an regular appointment with your Surgeon. Its always advisable to have a thorough assessment instead of risking and missing out an pathology. In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD
Follow-up: What causes early morning diarrhoea when on asthma,Gerd and arthritis medication? 1 hour later
I am not constipated, I have diarrhea but odd that it is only in the morning. I do not understand why I would need to see a surgeon. Please have another doctor review your suggestion.
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 hours later
Brief Answer: There is no substitute for good clinical examinati Detailed Answer: Hi, I take curbside opinion from my fellow colleagues from other specialty before answering any questions. Further in my clinical practice I come across many such patients, in majority of the patient the cause is benign like colitis and in some there has been colonic growth as the cause of symptoms. Therefore I recommend all my patients with recent alteration in bowel habit either constipation or diarrhea to see a physician or surgeon. If you don't agree with my opinion you are free to write to customer support team ( YYYY@YYYY ) In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD