What causes burning sensation in stomach after giving up alcohol?
User rating for this question
Hello, I recently gave up what I can best describe as a nightly but moderate drinking habit after about 10 years. There was some moderate withdrawal symptoms. Most have subsided after the first week. However, my stomach which immediately began feeling upset after quitting cold XXXXXXX has persisted. I have a gnawing, burning like sensation in my stomach usually getting worse near the evening, the time of day I used to drink. There is some slight to moderate nausea and pronounced sense of bloating at its peak. Sleep seem to help. When I wake up in the morning, I usually feel fine, but as the day progresses to around 4 p.m. is when it starts and it hits it zenith around 8. Any ideas? Thanks!
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Your organism during this 10 years has gotten used to an alcohol. You need to know that in the brain we have special receptors which alcohol can stimulate. This receptors are called GABA. When alcohol meets such receptor, your brain gets kind of sedated. Now during long term drinking this receptors become less sensitive for anything including alcohol. So sudden stop drinking makes hole brain hardly sedated (as in consequences GABA does not work property). Because of that you may have many different symptoms including stomach issues. You need some time for your brain to get back to normal and it wont happen in a days or week. The other thing is that alcohol can cause peptic ulcer and pancreas inflammation. Your symptoms may be caused by this issues as well. That is why I suggest you to have it checked. Blood work, liver tests, amylase, lipase, urine amylase, abdominal CT and gastroscopy should be done. For temporal relief you may try Diazepam (prescribed by your doctor). Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
People also viewed
- Whats good for trapped wind diarrhea
- What is causing my overheating and indigestion
- Burning sensation in stomach causes
- What causes a painful stomach after taking alcohol
- What causes burning sensation in lower stomach
- When i eat in the morning i get stomach cramps
- Swollen itchy patches between legs
- Rash between my legs near vagina
- What does it mean when you are neauseas but dont throw up and burp a lot
- Pregnant rash between thighs
- What causes burning sensation in stomach after giving up alcohol
- When i whip myself brown stuff be on the toilet paper
- Soft swelling between neck and shoulder
- Severe sweating between thighs
- What can be cause of stomach burning sensation