What causes abdominal pain with diarrhea?

I am healthy and in my 20's... just got diagnosed with c.diff after a uti infection. I have been having severe abdominal pain and diarrhea averaging about 8x's/day for the past 8 days. Dr has me on flagyl 3/day. Everything I eat seems to come right back out through diarrhea... I have been very nervous since I was diagnosed with c. Diff. Is it something I should really worry about? I read all these terrible stories online and now I'm really nervous. I meet with an infectious disease Dr in 9 days, which seems really far out at this rate... I need a second opinion... thanks
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: IV Flagyl/vancimycin. Probiotics, hydration, racec Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. E coli is one of the most common cause of GI infection after being treated with antibiotics, and hence is also known as antibiotic associated diarrhea. There are many bad reviews but no need to worry for all those as you have already been put on flagyl (metronidazole) which is the drug of choice and will take care of your infection. Along with flagyl I advice my patients to take probiotics, good hydration and racecodotril to reduce diarrhoea. All these have a role in treating diarrhea. Also have green leafy vegetables and fruits more than diary/bakery products. Since you are suffering from 8 days I advice you to continue all those I explained earlier and if this wont work, with your doctor's advice you can start intravenous Flagyl or Vancomycin. These drugs will take care of you. If flagyl fails then intravenous vancomycin or metronidazole can be used. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any related queries and I will be glad to help you. Wish you faster recovery and good health. Regards
Follow-up: What causes abdominal pain with diarrhea? 23 hours later
Thank for your response that does help. Am I safe to go out in public? I know that I'm contiguous, but to what degree? I dint want to put others In danger?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Treatment reduces risk of spread. Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for follow up query. With adequate treatment, you will not be spreading infection to others. Many a time E.coli may not produce symptoms in many people. Unhygenic measures by others increass risk of spread. So to avoid spread to other get treated first, till then avoid public wash rooms. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask further related query.If satisfied with answer close the query and rate it. Regards